Sunday, May 16, 2010

Dungeons & Dragons: A First Timer's Experience

Today was a special day in any gaming nerd's life. I played my first Dungeons & Dragons game. Last night was spent pouring over my character sheet, trying to make sure I got my character just right.

Picking my race/class was a real challenge. I wanted something that I was fairly familiar with. I originally thought about an elven ranger (my main in WoW, and an easy favorite). But I've been there, done that. I finally settled on an Eladrin wizard.



Though I will admit the Player's Handbook 4th Edition was a little hard to understand for a first-timer. A lot of the phrasing the editors seemed to take for-granted. There was a lot of sections that described a particular value, but didn't clearly talk about where to put it.

However, Wizards of the Coast has put a wonderful character builder program on their website that helps noobs like me put it all together in a way that is easy to understand, and gets you out the door with a workable character.

As a fan of RPGs (namely WoW and Dragon Age: Origins) it was truly fascinating to see the mother of them all, and recognize how much these modern games draw from this paragon of gaming.

As far as the actual game went, my little Leshanna did quite well, and I'm slowly becoming comfortable with tabletop gaming. A truly great experience, and one that I'm only sorry that I've waited this long to check out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Enter your comments below. Comments are moderated, so expect up to 24 hours before they appear.