Friday, July 30, 2010

Then Just Roll A Tank



This post could also be titled "Why I hate being DPS at times".

In World of Warcraft, there is a sweeping attitude that DPS are second class citizens of Azeroth. Whenever a DPS objects to a Tank's behavior (like not letting the DPS get mana, skipping bosses the majority of the group wants to do, etc) they are told they'll be kicked. I've been told many times that I wasn't needed (despite pulling the highest DPS) and that I was more expendable than a penny.

Few people would think twice before kicking a DPS (at least, before the most recent changes to the Vote to Kick system, but even then...) But kicking a tank will rarely pass, as long as the tank can stay alive, he can be as terrible as he wants to be. Waiting 30s for another expendable DPS? No worries. Waiting for 20 minutes for a new tank? No chance. Unless he is making the instance unfinishable, he can be as big of a jerk, as arbitrary as he wants to be.

Few tanks see a problem with rolling on DPS gear (if they do, it's only to avoid seeming hypocrisy). However, if a DPS who is trying to round out their tanking set to start tanking Needs a tanking item, then the Tank throws a hissy fit.

I'm of the opinion that anyone in the group (5-man, raids are different and should be handled by the raid leader) is just as important as anyone else. However, whenever I, or anyone else, protests against the attitude of the tanks, and asks for things to be changed, the most common response seems to be "Well, if you want to be able to ______ (kill optional bosses when you need them, get a more reasonable queue time, etc) then roll a tank."

This, to me, is the most annoying response I could get. My Hunter, Mage, Rogue and Warlock all lack the option to tank (or even heal). And even though my Ret Pally and Unholy DK can tank, I don't want to. So I enjoy the playstyle of DPS.

Why is this a crime? Why am I constantly finding myself punished for it?

Now, I have a tank. Level 76 Druid. It's not that hard. Can it be frustrating and aggravating? Sure. And yes, DPS can piss me off a lot. But, do I think I deserve to force the group into whatever I want, just because I'm the tank? No.

Now, I don't mind the long DPS queues. I do other things during the time, and I understand that it's just one of those things for which nothing can be done right now. I accept it.

I remember once, while doing normal Azjol-Nerub on my Pally, the Healer was "bored" and decided to Leroy the first boss, wiping us all. When he complained that no one else found it funny, I pointed out that I didn't spend 20 minutes in the queue to have my time wasted, and I didn't appreciate his antics.

His response: "Lol. u don't get to complain about queues.ur a pally, just roll tank."

Again, this attitude that DPS are not deserving of respect for their time, or their effort. That as DPS I am at the mercy of the whims of the tank and healer, and if I don't like it, my own fault for being DPS and not one of their high and mighty ranks.

I'm hoping with CC supposedly making a comeback in Cataclysm that the attitude will change. It should also help that with the Defense stat being removed, that tanking will be a little less gear-intensive and more people will be able/willing to tank, allowing for less of the attitude of "I am the irreplaceable tank. Suffer my whims, or wait 20 minutes for a new tank."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Enter your comments below. Comments are moderated, so expect up to 24 hours before they appear.